Cancer control and prevention are important t taken to reduce the risk of cancer and also reduce their growth to surrounding tissue cells. There are some easy and useful tips written below on cancer control and prevention. I started by explaining the meaning of cancer and also list common types of cancer.
What is cancer?
Types of cancer
How to prevent cancer
Cancer control |steps
Cancer is the excessive or malignant growth in tissue cells.
It is an abnormal growth of cells which multiplies uncontrollably and mostly spread to surrounding tissues by means of the lymphatic system.
TYPES OF CANCER
There are various types of cancer that affects our body, listed below are the most common:
- Breast cancer.
- Cervical cancer.
- Brain cancer.
- Bladder cancer.
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Lung cancer.
- Ovarian cancer.
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Throat, thyroid and tongue cancers
- Bone marrow cancers
- Colorectal cancer
- Liver cancer
- Vaginal and vulva cancers and so much more.
HOW TO PREVENT CANCER |CANCER CONTROL
- Avoid tobacco
Smoking has been associated with different types of cancer like; cancer of the lung, throat, cervix, breast, kidney etc.
Even exposure to second hand smoke increases the risk of lung cancer.
Completely stopping the use of tobacco is one of the healthiest choices to can make in cancer control.
- Eating right
Food might not treat or cure cancers, but helps to reduce the risk of developing one and cancer control.
Your diet should consist of plenty of fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and fish. Super foods like herbs and spices. Limit intake of processed meat
Avoid over feeding to prevent obesity as it is also a predisposing factor for cancers.
Avoid or reduce alcohol intake because excessive alcohol leads to liver and kidney damage, breast cancer etc.
- Protect your skin from the sun
Excessive sun on the skin can lead to skin cancers. Stay out of the sun especially the midday sun when the rays are strongest. If you must be under the sun, wear proper protective clothing to cover every exposed areas of your body. Always put on sunscreen at least 20 minutes before going out. this is an important form of cancer control.
Getting immunized from viral infections reduces your risk of cancer. You can get immunized for the following diseases and infection;
- Hepatitis B: This reduces the risk for liver cancer.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV): it is sexually transmitted. Getting immunized for it eliminates the risk for cervical and genital cancers.
- Avoiding risky behaviors
Guard your health jealously by avoiding risky practices that puts at risk of cancer. Some of the risky behaviors are;
- Having unprotected sex with several partners. You should stick to one partner and also invest in condom. Better safe than sorry. Unprotected sex exposes us HIV, HPV which puts you at risk for cervical cancer, cancer of the anus, penis, throat, vulva and vagina.
- Sharing needles and sharp objects e.g. razor blades
- Go for regular medical check ups
Regular check-up gives you an edge over cancer, and cancer control because when caught on time, the effects on the body are not very devastating and the treatments are also mostly successful.
STEPS FOR CANCER CONTROL
- Stop smoking and avoid second hand smoke.
- Eat foods rich in cancer-fighting properties like; herbs and spices (ginger, turmeric, thyme, mint, parsley) fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grain. Eat organic!
- Reduce your intake of red meat, animal fats and proteins so as to reduce the level of exposure to hormones and environmental toxins which are highly deposited in animal foods.
- Eat a low glycemic diet.
- Eat food high in fiber content. This promotes healthy intestinal function and normal weight.
- Eat fermented foods regularly.
- Drink green tea always.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Maintain a healthy body weight and fat.
- Exercise every regularly. Stay fit!
- Engage in regular cardiovascular, muscle strengthening and muscle building exercises.
- Use sun protection example sunscreens.
- Get about 7-9 hours of sleep at night
- Avoid chemical exposures at home and work.
- Remove every cancer causing elements from your home
- Avoid chemicals in foods like artificial flavorings.
- Get regular screenings for common cancers and those that are genetic such as breast, cervix, uterus, ovary exams for women and prostate exams for men, skin examinations for everyone over 50.
- Stay connected with friends and families. Show some love and stay happy!
- Stay grateful. Count your blessings.
- Take nutritional supplements daily:
- multi vitamin-mineral (copper-free and iron-free reduce cancer risk)
- omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA
- vitamin D
- probiotic/acidophilus or eating fermented foods regularly.