WHAT IS DOUCHING?
Douching is the act of cleaning out the inside of your vaginal with either water or other mixtures. Douching is not when you clean the outside part of your vagina.
When you practice douching, the douching mixture which can be either water, vinegar, baking soda, iodine goes into the inside of your vagina through a tube or nozzle and come out through your vagina. Washing the outsides of your vagina using warm water during your bath will not cause any harm to your vagina.
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT DOUCHE
Douching changes the normal balance of your vaginal flora, by killing the good bacteria that lives in the vagina and also altering the natural acidity level of your vagina.
Your vagina is said to be healthy when it contains the good bacteria and harmful bacteria. The good and bad bacteria both help in maintaining the normal acidic level of the vagina which helps in protecting the vagina from any forms of irritation and infections. Here are some of the reasons why douching is bad for you:
- Vaginal infections: When you douche, it results in an overgrowth of the harmful bacteria in your vagina, and can result in yeast infection, bacteria vaginosis.
- In persons with any vaginal infections, douching can help in pushing the infection to your fallopian tube, ovaries and uterus which can result in some serious health problems.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: This is an infection of the fallopian tubes, uterus and ovaries. When you douch you risk developing this disease.
- Pregnancy complications: Some studies have shown that women who douch all the time find it more difficult in getting pregnant than those who do not. Douching can even increase your risk for ectopic pregnancy up to 75%
- Cancer of the cervix: Douching may also increase your risk of developing cervical cancer.
BEST WAY TO CLEAN OUT YOUR VAGINA
Let your vaginal do the cleaning. Yes you heard right! Your vaginal secretes mucus which is capable of washing out any blood, vaginal discharge or even semen. You can keep your vaginal clean and healthy through;
- Wash with warm water only
- keeping off scented pads, tampons sprays as these types of products have a tendency of increasing your chances of getting a vaginal infection
- Practice good hygiene during your period.
- Always wipe your lady parts from front to back rather than the reverse.
- Always wear cotton underwear. This allows the free flow of air through the fabrics to your vagina, keeping it fresh and free from any growth of yeast or any unhealthy bacteria.
- Wearing loose fitting clothes. Loose fitted clothes help your vagina to breath well. Avoid wearing tight pants or skinny jeans all the time, as these types of clothing can trap moisture, which promotes the growth of yeast infections.
- Eat healthy foods: some of these healthy foods to try includes yogurt. Yogurt contains the good bacteria that are not just good for maintaining the normal pH level of your vagina, but also good for your gut.
- Exercise regularly
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Eating garlic: Garlic contains some properties that help in killing off yeast infections.
- Washing after sex. During sex, your vagina is open, making you prone to getting an infection or irritation.
- Pee after sex.
- Pay a visit to your doctor when you notice anything out of the ordinary.