Fibromyalgia symptoms are very discomforting, and includes pain which is widespread, tenderness, tiredness etc.
Fibromyalgia according to studies have been found to magnify painful sensations by affecting the way the brain perceives pain.
Fibromyalgia treatments and drugs
Fibromyalgia is a condition that is characterized by pain, fatigue, around the tender points of the body. It also causes sleep, memory and mood issues.
Women are more prone to developing fibromyalgia than men. Fibromyalgia can be hard to diagnose because of the similarity with the symptoms to other conditions.
There have been no known cure for fibromyalgia, but some treatments are available to relieve fibromylagia symptoms.
There have been no known cause of fibromyalgia, but it can be associated with some factors working together. Some of these causes include:
- Hereditary; Fibromyalgia tends to run in families, which can make you more predisposed to getting it.
- Some infections causes the body a great deal of stress which increases your tendency to developing fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma.Post-traumatic stress disorders has been associated to causing fibromyalgia.
- Repeated nerve stimulation. Abnormal changes in the chemical level of the brain that is responsible for sending pain signals. The pain receptors in the bran develops a memory of the pain and becomes extra sensitive to pain.
Fibromyalgia symptoms include the following;
- Pain which is widespread, and found in tender points of the body which are scartterd over the elbow, shoulder, buttocks, knee, chest, hip, neck. Pain is the most felt discomfort which might force the individual to see a doctor.
- Deep muscle pain
- Morning stiffness
- Memory difficulties (Fibro fog)
- Painful menstruation
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Numbness of the extremities
- Tingling sensation found in the hands legs.
Eating a healthy diet is good for everyone. A fibromyalgia diet should include fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, meats with lean protein such as chicken or fish. Processed foods should be avoided, same with foods with lots of saturated fats, fried foods. You should also reduce your sugar and salt intake, which can reduce fibromyalgia symptoms.
You can also take foods like
- Whole-grain bread.
FIBROMYLAGIA TREATMENT AND DRUGS
Fibromyalgia treatment includes both drugs and self-care. The goal of treatment is on reducing fibromyalgia symptoms. Some of the drugs used include;
- Analgesics; these are for reducing pain or reducing the way your brain perceives pain. Examples include; Pregabalin(Lyrica), Milnacipran (Savella). Some over the counter pain relievers include; Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen sodium. Tramadol is also used which can be gotten with a prescription. Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is a medicine that normally treats depression.
- Antidepressants; There include drugs like Duloxetine (Cymbalta) and milnacipran (Savella) Fluoxetine (Prozac), amitriptyline, which is also used to reduce pain and tiredness and encourage sleep.
- Anti-seizure drugs. This class of drugs can also be used to relieve pain and some other symptoms. Examples include; Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise), Pregabalin (Lyrica)
Some of the home remedies used in managing fibromyalgia symptoms includes the following;
- Reduce stress or any activity that causes stress. You should try to take out time to relax, and also practice some deep-breathing exercises or meditation.
- Get enough sleep. This can help in relieving fatigue which is a major symptom of fibromyalgia. So, it is very important that you get enough sleep.
- Exercises like swimming, taking a short walk, biking helps in relieving symptoms of fibromyalgia. Stretching and keeping a good body posture can help to promote relaxation.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle.Eating healthy foods also helps in reducing symptoms of fibromyalgia. You should also reduce the amount of caffeine you consume.