How to clean makeup brushes? having the knowledge on how to clean our makeup brushes is a very important since it is a task we need to perform so as to prevent and stop the spread of bacteria across your face.
They are so many people who use their makeup brushes for months and even years without washing them. This is really bad if you do it. Because you may just be transferring bacteria that may have already festered on these brushes to your face. This may even exacerbate some skin problems such as acne, eczema, perioral dermatitis etc. if you’ve got any of this skin problems, I’d advise you clean your makeup brush more often than the average person.
Read previous articles on face wash, skin care mistakes, and mascara tips.
How To Clean Makeup Brushes
Here are some useful tips on how to clean makeup brushes. These are not the only way to clean your makeup brushes, so do share how you do your cleaning in the comment box below!
- First thing first, you lay out all your dirty makeup brushes you want to clean and get ready for cleaning.
- Then you examine the makeup brushes to check if there were used for powder based makeup or cream based makeup. If you used the makeup brush for cream based makeup, they would require deep cleaning.
- Slightly dampen your makeup brushes with lukewarm water, but ensure the water do not get to the metal clasp of the handle, as this will weaken the glue that keeps the bristle together.
- Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water, avoid using hot water, because they are capable of damaging the bristle.
- Add any choice of cleaning product or baby shampoo you want to the water. I’ll recommend a mild anti-bacterial shampoo because they leave your makeup brushes exceptionally soft, and also keep off any bacteria found on the makeup brush.
- Start by swirling your makeup brush around on the palm of your hand, adding a little bit of water to lather up the product occasionally so as to allow the makeup brush to be thoroughly saturated with lather.
- You may also squeeze out any excess product.
- Rinse the bristle under running lukewarm water until it becomes completely clear.
- Pat the makeup brushes dry. Do not scrub or ruffle to avoid changing the shape.
- You can also reshape the bristles of the makeup brushes if they become crooked. You can reshape them using your fingers to straighten and pull the bristles back to their original shape.
- Let the makeup brushes dry properly in a well-ventilated area. Let them hang straight so the water can drip out. Do not hang upright so the water doesn’t ruin the glue holding the bristles or even cause rot or rust to the metal clasp.
- Store your makeup brushes properly. Do not store them pointing downwards so the bristles do not get crooked.
- You may repeat the process of cleaning if necessary especially for very dense brushes or if the dirt is stubborn.
I hope this article provides the help you need on how to clean makeup brushes.
Some Things You May Need
- Baby shampoo or any cleaning product of your choice