ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION (ED)
Prevention of erectile dysfunction (Ed) are those methods geared at making healthy and safe choices for our health. Erectile dysfunction (Ed) is when you are unable to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for sex. Erectile dysfunction (Ed) is also termed as impotence.
When you experience some difficulty in getting an erection sometimes, it does not really mean you might be having erectile dysfunction. But when the problem becomes ongoing, it can cause some stress, affecting your self-esteem and confidence and might even cause some problems in your relationship. Erectile dysfunction (Ed) can also be an indication of some underlying health problem that will require some medical attention and is also pretty common, affecting most guys.
If you’re bothered about erectile dysfunction (Ed), you can always talk to your doctor even if you’re embarrassed. Sometimes, treating an underlying health condition is enough to reverse erectile dysfunction (Ed). Even if you do not have erectile dysfunction, you can also meet to doctor to give you some tips on prevention of erectile dysfunction (Ed).
CAUSES OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION (ED)
Getting an erection requires the combined effort of your brain, emotions, some hormones, nerves, blood vessels and also muscles. This means that when you have an issue with one of them, you might experience some trouble getting an erection. Stress and some mental health can also contribute to erectile dysfunction. Likewise, stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
Sometimes, the causes may be physical, such as;
- Heart disease
- High level of cholesterol
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Inflammation of the prostate gland
- Scar tissue formation inside the penis
- Certain medications
- Use of tobacco
- Substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries affecting the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Inflammation of the urethra
- Spinal cord injury which is a medical emergency
- Dependence on nicotine
- Hookworm infection
- Spinal cord abscess
- Pituitary cancer
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Cushing syndrome
Some of the causes can also be psychological, such as
Since the brain has a role to play when you want to get an erection, certain factors can affect how excited you feel which can also interfere with your sexual feelings causing or in other cases making the erectile dysfunction (Ed) worse. Some of these factors are as follows;
- Problems in your relationship can also be a contributing factor
ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION SYMPTOMS
Erectile dysfunction (Ed) symptoms include the following;
- You have trouble getting an erection
- When you have trouble keeping an erection
- When your sexual desire is reduced
- Chest problems
- Premature ejaculation
- Penile erection that is not maintained for the length of sexual activity
- Penile erection which is not firm enough to penetrate the vagina
- When you are unable to form a penile erection
PREVENTION OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION (ED)
Prevention of erectile dysfunction (ED) is in making healthy lifestyle decisions and also managing any existing health problem. Some of the healthy choices may include;
- Quit smoking
- Limiting or avoiding your alcohol intake
- Going for regular checkups
- Managing any other health conditions properly
- Regular exercise
- Managing stress properly
- Getting help for any mental problems
DRUGS AND TREATMENT FOR ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION(ED)
Drugs and treatment for erectile dysfunction (Ed) depend on the cause and also the severity. Some of these drugs which are mostly in oral form includes;
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
- Avanafil (Stendra)
These drugs act by enhancing the effects of nitric oxide which is a natural chemical produced by your body to relax the muscles in the penis. Once the muscles are relaxed, blood flow is increased allowing you to get an erection in response to a sexual stimulation.
Some of the side effects include; flushing of the face, headaches. nasal congestion, stomach upset, visual changes and backache.
It is also important that you get your doctor’s approval before taking any of this medications.
Other medications used for erectile dysfunction (Ed) include:
- Self-injections: The types of medications are usually injected into the penis directly. There include; alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine.
- Testosterone replacement.
- Alprostadil urethral suppository.
- Penis pumps
- Penile implants and surgery
- Blood vessel surgery
- Psychological counselling