Under eye bags? These are a natural effect of aging but are sometimes caused by allergies, lack of sleep and some habits which promote water retention.
Under eye bags or puffy eyes are usually a cosmetic concern, which makes people appear under the weather or tired.
Here are some home remedies on how to get rid of bags under your eyes. There are quick remedies, long-term remedies, and permanent cosmetic solutions.
UNDER EYE BAGS
Under eye bags are mild swellings or puffiness found under the eyes.
There become common as you age. With aging, the tissues that surround your eyes, including some muscles which support your eyelids become weaken. Normal fat which provides support for the eyes moves into the lower eyelids, causing the eyelids to appear puffy.
Fluid also may be retained in the space below your eyes, adding to the swelling.
Under eyes bags are rarely a sign of a serious underlying medical condition, but usually, a cosmetic concern usually a cosmetic concern.
UNDER EYE BAGS CAUSES
As you age, the skin around your eyes may begin to sag.
Several factors which can lead to bags under eyes include:
- When you do not get enough sleep
- Fluid retention as a result of the changes in weather. For example, hot, humid days, hormone levels and eating salty foods
- Allergies or dermatitis
- Under eye bags can also run in families
SYMPTOMS OF UNDER EYE BAGS
Symptoms of bags under eyes can include:
- A mild swelling
- Saggy or loose skin
- Dark circles around the eyes
Bags under eyes are usually a cosmetic concern and don’t require specific treatment. Home and lifestyle treatments may help reduce or eliminate puffy eyes.
Medical and surgical treatments are available if you’re concerned about the appearance of under-eye swelling. Treatment may not be covered by medical insurance if it’s done solely to improve your appearance.
UNDER EYE BAGS TREATMENT
If the swelling or puffiness under your eyes is caused by an allergy, you should ask your doctor about a prescription for allergy medications.
Surgery can also be used to remove bags under eyes. One of the surgeries that can be carried out is the blepharoplasty.
During blepharoplasty, the surgeon cuts below the lashes in your eye’s natural crease or inside the lower lid of your eyes. The surgeon also removes or redistributes the excess fat, muscle and sagging skin.
This procedure is usually done as an outpatient procedure.
In addition to correcting under eye bags, blepharoplasty can also be used to repair:
- Baggy or puffy upper eyelids
- Excessive skin on the lower eyelids
- Excessive skin on the upper eyelid that interferes with your vision
- Droopy lower eyelids
LIFESTYLE AND UNDER EYE BAGS HOME REMEDIES
The following tips can be helpful in reducing or eliminate under eye bags:
- Use of a cool compress.Wet a clean cloth with cool water. While sitting, apply the cool damp cloth to the skin under and around your eyes for a few minutes using mild pressure.
- Get enough sleep at night.Get a good night rest for about 7-8 hours.
- While sleeping, your head should be with your head should be slightly raised.You can add an extra pillow or prop up your head on your mattress. This helps prevent the accumulation of fluids around your eyes while sleeping.
- Reduce allergy symptoms.Avoid allergens as much as possible. You can also try over-the-counter allergy medications.
HOW TO GET RID OF BAGS UNDER YOUR EYES
Here are some quick remedies, long-term remedies, and permanent cosmetic solutions.
- Drinking lots of water. Under eye bags are usually caused by the retention of water as a result of high salt / sodium concentration in the area. You can also wake up with bags under your eyes when you eye a salty dinner or when you cry before sleeping. Be it food or tears, salt can be drawn from your face, causing it to collect under your eyes.
You can get rid of the excess salt in your system by drinking plenty of water, avoiding salty food for the rest of the day.
- Putting on some concealer. Concealers are for short term use. It is useful in covering up circles and bags under the eyes. It works best if you choose a color that matches your skin tone.
- Soothing your eyes with something cold. You can place cucumbers around your eyes. But it is very important that these cucumbers be a little bit chilled since it is actually the cool temperature that soothes the area.
Cucumbers are the perfect shape, texture, and size for treating under eye bags. If cucumbers are not available, you can wet some tea bags and chill them in the refrigerator before placing them over your eyes.
- Using tea bags. The tannin contained in tea bags can also help to ease down under eye bags. Tea bags are also useful in soothing irritated eyes.
- You put 2 tea bags that have already been used in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes
- Lie down in a comfortable position and place the tea bags over your eyelids
- Leave them for about 10 to 15 minutes
- You can repeat few times in a day
- Just as written above, cucumbers are great in reducing puffy eyes, especially cold cucumbers.
Cucumber contains astringent properties which are useful in reducing inflammation, and also helps to tighten the skin, getting rid of dark circles and wrinkles around your eyes.
- Cut the chilled cucumber into thick slices
- Place them no your eyelids for about 10 minutes or until they become warm
- You can repeat this process for several times in a day
6. Use of egg whites. Egg whites contain skin lightening properties which are also helpful in getting rid of under eye bags and also preventing wrinkles.
- Separate the yolks from the whites and put in a bowl
- Whip the egg whites properly until you get a stiff consistency
- You can also add some drops of witch hazel
- Apply under your eyes with a soft cloth and allow to dry
- Allow for about 15 minutes
- You can also repeat this process daily for a few days
Some of the long-term strategies include the following:
- Treating your allergies
- Changing your sleeping position
- Treating your face gently and with care
- Avoiding going to bed with your makeup
- Changing some of your dietary habits like reducing the amount of salt you consume.
- Drinking less alcohol
- You can get a filler. Under eye bags that are as a result of aging will not respond to lifestyle changes. Getting a hyaluronic filler can help in improving the appearance of the area under the eye, making it appear more youthful.
This procedure should only be carried out by a professional
- Surgery can also be used to remove bags under eyes. One of the surgeries that can be carried out is the blepharoplasty. This procedure is also followed by laser treatments to tighten the skin around the eye.